Security Basics mailing list archives

mirroring cable model traffic

From: Chas Meyer <chas.meyer () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 01:35:19 -0500

Just a quick question - I've decided to run snort on all the traffic running in and out of my house. Since my home switch is unmanaged (I can't set up a mirror port), I've done it ghetto style. I set up a hub in between my cable modem and my router/switch and plugged the interface on my server that I would like to use for sniffing into that hub. However, when I test this rig with tcpdump (using command: sudo tcpdump -vvv -i eth0), all I am getting is arp requests on my ISP's network, even with internet use from my local network. Shouldn't I also be seeing all the traffic that is originating and terminating at my router/switch? Any help would be great. Thanks.