Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: traffic creation

From: liran <theog () rct co il>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:54:09 +0300

Well if I was testing an environment I would use nessus first to check whatever I can with it (see nessus here: http://dir.rct.co.il/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=22&mode=&order=0&thold=0 ) but you can also use nmap to port scan in various ways the environment there are other programs but they are service specific for the most part, I would also use httrack ( see httrack here http://dir.rct.co.il/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=20&mode=&order=0&thold=0 ) to send web traffic to the web site. there are also tools to test other services I would gladly help just tell me what you need.

Cheers,

Liran Cohen

http://dir.rct.co.il

Og(uz Yar?mtepe wrote:

Hi all,

In my test environment i have some servers (web, time, dns, email, ftp). And they are connected to some firewalls. What i want to do is to test my firewall rules by creating a traffic and see whether the packages are passing and reaching to the servers or not. As i read, hping is the tool for creating packages. So i may try to send some TCP packages with -S flag to their open ports (80, 21 ...) and expect packages with SA flag.

First of all is this a true approach?

Second, i want to create a random traffic like a real internet environment, like some hosts are requesting service from my servers, trying to reach them, and analyze the traffic and see the results as "oh ok this ip had been restricted to my web server from firewall A and it seems the rule is correct". So i am open to all ideas and solution about creating this test environment. Thanx.

--
Liran Cohen
http://dir.rct.co.il