Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Restrict certain file types on a Windows 2000 share

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 15:21:05 +0200

On 2007-09-06 Mary Hendrix wrote:
Second, I was wondering if there is a way to prevent users from
storing mp3 or other file types on a shared disc that is supposed to
be used only to store .doc, .xls and so.

No. A file's name is not related to it's content, and a file's content
is not inspected when it's stored on a share. Thus an MP3 could actually
be given a name like my_new_mp3.xls to bypass name restricitions.

What you can do is set up a policy that prohibits storing certain file
types, and then periodically run a script that checks the actual type of
files stored on the shares (with something like the Unix "file" command)
and deletes files that violate the policy.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."