Security Basics mailing list archives

which routing attacks are possible

From: itsec.info () gmail com
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 07:39:08 +0200

Hi

I have been asked which attacks are possible from a Home PC which is
connected via cablemodem to the Internet.

Originally I thought only BGP attacks are a threat but then I was
asked how about the following attacks:

a) DNS Spoofing: man in the middle
b) ICMP router discovery protocol, e.g. re-routing a route
c) ARP cache and spoofing
d) IRPAS and VIPPR attacks from phenolit
e) OSPF and HSPF attacks
etc

I thought only the a) and b) are possible but now I am confused again.

From a cablemodem you see only autonomous systems and the respective
routers. Properly configured routers - AS to AS - support only BGP4,
don't they?

Can you please help me to understand what attach scenarious must be
protected to from the above list? Or where do I find respective
information?

Thanks very much.
Mike