Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How to design Security Policies

From: "Jayson Agagnier" <jagagnier () nvidia com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:36:08 -0700

There are many sites that have such policies, but it depends on what
type of business you are in.

Some good points of reference are:

www.isaca.org
www.sans.org/resources/policies
www.iso.ch
http://www.arma.org/imj/index.cfm
http://www.gao.gov/
http://www.tbs.sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/ciopubs/TB_IT/siglist_e.asp
http://www.information-security-policies-and-standards.com/

Don't forget to include a scope of audience and outline who are the
information owners, information custodians and information users, along
with classification & labeling suitable for your business sector.

In order to keep things easy for your business absorb and support, keep
policies simple and high level, issue IT specific directives that will
tell IT staff how they have to do what they need to do.  Here's a copy
of the policy/directive framework we use.

A good reference book to have for outlining roles and responsibilities
is 'Information Security Roles & Responsibilities Made Easy' published
by PentaSafe.

Good luck!

Regards,

Jayson Agagnier, CISSP