Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SP level of the Win OS from CMD

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:08:15 +0200

On 2007-09-15 AntiVirusEngineer () gmail com wrote:
now again one more question. how do I know the version of a particular
dll file from the command prompt. No GUI please.

In windows I can identify the version of dll file by Right click
---Properties ---version tab. but I want the version number in CMD
Prompt.

I don't know of a canonic way to retrieve that information on the
command line, but you could use strings [1] in combination with grep
from the UnxUtils [2]:

  strings -n 10 DLL_FILE | grep -A 1 FileVersion

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Miscellaneous/Strings.mspx
[2] http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."