Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Massive failed FTP attempts.

From: l00t3r <l00t3r () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 13:37:58 -0400

We have lots 80,000+ brute force attacks on users such as root,
administrator, ftp (basically anything default).  Make sure your
proftpd is up to date (you may also want to looking into something
more secure such as sftp) and disable any default accounts from
logging in, also enforce a strict password policy for users that can
use ftp.

Good luck!