Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Group Policy Connundrum - Stick with it, its confusing!!!

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:08:28 -0400

Yes, GPO's can only be applied to OUs. Those OUs can contain user or
computer objects. If you want to apply a particular GPO to a user
account, you must configure the appropriate settings to the User
Configuration object of the GPO (vs. Computer Configuration object),
link the GPO to the OU (or let it be inherited into the OU from a parent
OU) that contains the appropriate user accounts, and the user accounts
must have the Read and Apply Group Policy permissions on the GPO in
question.  That latter portion can be accomplished using security groups
to set the correct permissions.

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, InfoWorld, Security Columnist
*CPA, CISSP, CISA, MCSE: Security (2000/2003), CEH, yada...yada...
*email: roger_grimes () infoworld com or roger () banneretcs com
*Author of Windows Vista Security: Securing Vista Against Malicious
Attacks (Wiley)
*http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Vista-Security-Securing-Malicious/dp/0470
101555