Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Failover internet connections, and implementation...

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:05:44 -0700

  Neither of these will work if you host the company's Internet-
facing servers (web, email) on the network, because DNS entries
(cached all over the place) will still be pointing at your primary
addresses.

  There are special appliances that will compensate for a failed
ISP link, including serving up DNS with a short TTL and reflecting
the change.  The more traditional approach is to have dedicated
routable addressing -- at least for those servers! -- and BGP to
multiple ISP connections.

David Gillett