Security Basics mailing list archives

Liscensing in Windows 2003 SBS

From: "Jon Petre" <jono-31 () hotmail co uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 08:19:48 +0000

Hi List,

This is my issue:

I have just built a new Windows 2003 SBS R2 domain controller to replace my aging IBM box, which incidentally also had Windows 2003 SBS installed. I am seeing event warning's every 6 hours stating that

"Replication of license information failed because the License Logging Service on server \\OLDSERVERNAME could not be contacted".

I have removed the old server from the domain so is this anything to worry about. I had no CAL's to transfer, so why is it trying to query my old box. Further information is that I transferred all the domain controller details, AD, FMSO Roles, Exchange mailboxes etc instead of creating a new domain. I think this is where I have gone wrong as it would have been easier to create the new domain I think due to me only having ten workstations on the network.

Is this event anything to worry about? I have restarted the License Logging service but this has had no effect.

If any further info required please give me a shout.

TIA

Jono

The next generation of Hotmail is here!  http://www.newhotmail.co.uk