Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: considerations about exploits tricks

From: jfvanmeter () comcast net
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 17:48:03 +0000

That was nicely written Sean, but rarely when one talks about security, we rarely talk about  securing the "user" if I
can get one user to tell me a password, reset a account, open a email that installs software. All the work that is done
to secure the perimetter doesn't mean anything.
If we don't take social engineering into account, hardening the perimeter is just a speed bump.

Take Care and Have Fun --John

From: PCSC Information Services <info () pcsage biz>
Hi opexoc et al,

One thing to be considered when designing your systems for security is
that 'Security is a process, not a destination' It's been argued that
the only secure computer is the one that's at the bottom of the ocean
with no power available. I would hazard that with this in mind, there
is never the possibility of 'winning' the battle, only consistent
successful defense of the perimeter.

Successful security is consistent, but to arrive at this level of
consistency requires constant vigilance. It would never do to rest on
ones laurels and say 'We've arrived and we're secure.' as that
'Maginot Line' of thinking would only be circumvented by shifting the
vector of attack (as the Maginot defense proved)

If you are in charge of security for your organization, it's critical
to have frank discussion about the ongoing security requirements of
your systems, and to ensure that policy is in place to monitor, and
adjust your security processes as software and systems evolve. Even
more critical is that the budget and human-power is adequately
provided for through the policy so as to ensure that these evolving
security threats are met with the appropriate response. Attackers are
never standing still, and neither should the vigilant security expert.

Best,

Sean Swayze