Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing workstations from IT guys

From: Tremaine Lea <tremaine () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 12:23:28 -0700

It sounds like you have generic domain admin accounts - I'd change that immediately, and create what are called 99 accounts. Normally a user would log in with user.name which provides them with the usual domain user privileges. If they require domain privileges for any reason, they need to log in with username99. This change in addition to detailed logging will create accountability and tracking that can be used to enforce policy.

As someone else has suggested, do not allow users to store sensitive documents locally. These documents should be stored on a separate server that requires authentication. Logging accesses to HR documents would clearly be a good idea to track changes and ownership.

---
Tremaine Lea
Network Security Consultant
Intrepid ACL