Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: [Without visiting website] Finding out IP address of external interface of web proxy

From: "Dev Null" <devj.nullj () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:23:58 +0500

Thanks for your reply. However, please note that I could not solve my
problem using
tcptraceroute as advised by you. If I use

#tcptraceroute www.website.com 80

it does not help. I used my firewall as the gateway:

# route add default gw 192.168.100.1

# tcptraceroute www.yahoo.com 80

Tracing the path to www.yahoo.com (209.131.36.158) on TCP port 80 (http)

1 f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com (209.131.36.158)

It found out only the IP address of yahoo.com and nothing more.

So what do I do now? Is there any way network protocols can be used in
some way to achieve this? May be use libnet to send some packets to an
outer host and see some reply?