Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How to Test HDD Encryption

From: jfvanmeter () comcast net
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 18:12:17 +0000

encrypting file can be based on the user’s password or a certificate, this adds an addational layer of security after
the OS is load.

If I'm a malicous person that is trying to steal your files ..... I now have to get pass the FDE, ACLs on the file
system, then the file based encryption. I believe like electrical current, malicous people take the path of less
resistance, so if the target has extra security controls it would make there task harder.

Again this is jusy my two shiny centavos, and somedays there not all that shiny.

--John

From: Eric White <ewhite () ssc wisc edu>

--- Begin Message --- From: Eric White <ewhite () ssc wisc edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:25:41 +0000
Hello,

This may be a naïve question, but what sort of threats are defended by
file-based encryption when used in the manner you suggest?

Thanks,

Eric

--
Eric White