Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: CISSP Question

From: "Simmons, James" <jsimmons () eds com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 13:03:27 -0500

Craig,
The problem with this argument is that the definition of professional is
relative. And you are pre-occupied with defining it in a legal context.
Though I am sure at some point it will have to be examined under legal
context, the main problem is that ISC2 has not defined what they mean as
professional (or at least in any public documents I can remember
finding). That is why lawyers always spend the first few pages of
contracts defining
terms used.

Here is the Princeton definition of a profession.
# the body of people in a learned occupation; "the news spread rapidly
through the medical community"
# an occupation requiring special education (especially in the liberal
arts or sciences)
# an open avowal (true or false) of some belief or opinion; "a
profession of disagreement"
# affirmation of acceptance of some religion or faith; "a profession of
Christianity"
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
Or http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3Aprofession&btnG=Search

This discussion will continue on because you will continue to bring up
other references that make another definition of the wording of
professional. (First, it was someone who abided by your definition of
professional responsibility, then it was someone who was part of an
organization, and then it is someone who advocates, etc. ) I keep
refuting your claims, and then you bring up more references that change
the definition that you are using.
What needs to be done is a decision on your definition of profession and
then
present it for rebuttal. This whole "trying to hit a moving target" is
not going end at all.

Now on to your e-mail, advocacy is a position of representation.
http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3A
official&channel=s&hl=en&q=define%3Aadvocacy&btnG=Google+Search
And here is a quote: "The act of speaking or of disseminating
information intended to influence individual behavior or opinion,
corporate conduct or public policy and law."

But, for arguments sake, lets take your definition:
"It is the role and effect as a mouthpiece and involves the act of
arguing on behalf of a particular issue. A Security consultant does
this. A Security guard does not."

So by your definition, how is a doctor an advocate? How is the security
consultant? He is consulting a client. Not speaking for them. In any
case, your definition of professional is obviously not what ISC2
requires to take their exam. There are plenty of CISSP
"professional" who do not fit your definition of professional.

Your definition of Advocacy is tied to lawyers.

 I really liked your diagram though, and you should really give a link
to it
instead. But your diagram is flawed for your argument in that the main
contributing factor to the definition of a professional is the "Academic
Knowledge" portion
that everything runs through. And I would easily argue that not all
actual IT professionals have had said Academic Knowledge. Which just
points out the flaw in these old definitions of professionals that you
are using?
(Case in point, Bill Gates, the riches man in the world, never completed
his Academic Knowledge. So he is not a professional by your standards?)

Of course by your definition again, Police would not be considered
professionals? They are performing the same security services that a
security guard is, they just perform to a higher degree, and have been
decreed by the government to perform their job in such a way (government
regulation).

And finally I would have to touch on your statement that enlisted
individuals are not considered professionals. Granted it is a really
grey area, but since you are going to claim a general group I will
disprove it with a single subset. NCO, Chiefs/Sergeants, and Warrant
Officers. The higher echelons of the enlisted military community. They
run there shops / battalions, group. They are the managers, they are the
life blood of any military. I would have to make the argument that as
soon as you achieve the rank of NCO then you should be considered a
professional. You had to demonstrate your skill / knowledge, you are
then expected to become a leader of men. (They are called First Line
Leaders after all.) And being a previous NCO, I would have to claim from
experience, but I am not expecting anyone to take my word for it. You
don't know me or when I am lying.. Instead, draw your on conclusions or
go do your own research.

Regards,
Simmons