Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: RE: GSEC Study Materials

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 19:02:33 +0100

I feel you will only pass the test if you have the official
course ware. I took one self-study and two in person. I would
recommend either option.

I think that to some extent this applies to all certs, not that I've ever
done a GSEC. The grading will reflect the course materials content, even if
the exam compilers -try- to test all-round knowledge of the field, rather
than just knowledge of course materials. In some cases (and I'm -not- saying
this is true of GSEC: I wouldn't know either way) the test will be just
that, a test of understanding of the course materials. If it's a good
course, this may not matter, but it does mean that if you rely on your
practical and conceptual knowledge of the field under test, you may trip
over differences in expression and terminology, for instance.

--
David Harley CISSP, Small Blue-Green World
Security Author/Editor/Consultant/Researcher