Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Value of certifications

From: "Erin Carroll" <amoeba () amoebazone com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 12:03:24 -0700

Craig,

I agree that Technical certifications are a different animal when it comes
to re-certification vs. non-expiring certs in that the protocols, specific
tools and technologies, and assorted "hands-on" knowledge that validates the
percieved value of said cert changes rapidly. I myself have some
certifications from the late 90's/early 2000's that make great coffee
coasters now.. Foundry Certified Network Engineer from 2001? Not so useful
or cogent in today's tech space for exactly the reasons Craig alludes to.

However, I'm not in complete agreement. Certain "technical" certifications
which focus more on methodolgies, concepts, and process management (such as
the SANS GISP or GSLC) do not IMHO require re-certification for the most
part... or at the very least a much longer term before re-certification is
necessary. The tools and protocols may change but the underlying core
concepts that such higher-level "technical" certifications focus on change
at a much slower pace.

As Hari said, certifications are only a beginning. At one time I was a
top-notch Solaris engineer but since I moved to a more security-centric
focus many years ago I wouldn't trust me admin'ing on your critical servers
now :) If you aren't actively working to increase your knowledge and keeping
up to date you'll soon find your overall "value" dropping as your skill set
becomes more and more archaic or obscure. Don't expect another Y2K boon like
the FORTRAN programmers lucked in to. The IT field of study is not like a
History degree where you have a very finite and established dataset to work
with, it is constantly evolving.

Do I think certifications are the end-all be all of establishing the value
or excellence of a technologist? Absolutely not. But show me someone who has
continued to expand their skills through work and study efforts and their
"value" would be higher by my criteria.

--
Erin Carroll
Moderator