Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: CISSP Question

From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 07:30:34 +1000

Here is the operative word, "play".

Tell me how you simulate an OSPF backbone at home? How do you do random
load? ACL testing across multiple zones? Authentication from disparate
sources? Multiple VPN's? Switching interactions and VLANs?

Maybe it is that I am again not looking at the generalised mean of small
business - 20 people, 1 location and a poorly configured Internet
router, but than this is not what I would be looking to hire for either.

But you have hit the proverbial nail on the head. This is one of the
segregations in this discourse. Playing to learn and learning through
playing. I personally do not know if it is actually worth the time in
reskilling somebody who has played to learn at home to be effective in
managing by the rules.

I am sure not every one is this way and I apologise in advance to any
reader on the list if you feel that I have impugned you throughout this
statement. I will state that those staff members I have had in the past
(without a single exception) who have solely learnt through playing have
been the worst hires I have made.

There is a decided distinction between learning and becoming educated
and than applying knowledge at home or away from work and buying a
router to play with.

Not a one has ever decided that the documented method was acceptable.
This is not always the book, but rather the organisational method. I
have no issues in change, in fact I promote change at all possible
occasion. It just has to be managed. This is what I have through
personal analogy found to be lacking and the effort to remove the bad
habits and instil those that follow a plan are costly. Both in time and
effect in the interim.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO BOX 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
www.bdo.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your
system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls.  It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects.  BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached.  A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au or by emailing administrator () bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.