Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Home laptops on a corporate network

From: gjgowey () tmo blackberry net
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 18:04:10 +0000

It's dangerous, but not impossible to guard these systems.  Step one is making sure they're joined to the domain.  Step
two is making sure the group policies on these systems are very strict (I'd advise putting them in their own ou for
this reason).  Step three would be to have a remote management solution in place.

Personally I would recommend SMS for managing remote systems.  It's a beast and you need to keep your eye on it, but
it'll tell you everything you want to know but were afraid to ask (including patches applied and missing).  You can
also use SMS for software deployment.

It takes a lot of work to secure off site systems, but it can be done.  Just need to really work on setting up your GPs
right and remote system management.  Personally, I would allocate only corporate provided laptops for this task since
you can control the imaging and there's no question as to who is the owner of the system.

Also, disable the local system administrator account on these machines (if a domain admin can't work on it remotely
then the machine should be treated as broken or compromised and have to be brought in for reimaging).  Make sure they
can't boot from anything but the hdd and that the bios is password protected (important note: using the same password
on every system is a very bad idea).  Use a different password per system and keep that information in a central db
(you could use the systems serial as the pk) for the help desk/noc people to see.  I would also recommend setting the
startup password (if the laptop allows it - my thinkpad does), but make it a semi easy password (last name of assigned
owner maybe, but that's up to you) so the user doesn't write it down on a postit note and stick it to the keyboard.

Geoff

Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld.