Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password Manager Software recommendations

From: "Ackley, Alex" <aackley () epmgpc com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 12:46:20 -0400

When we ran into this problem, our answer was to move to a Two-factor
authentication scheme.  This scheme uses Aladdin's USB eTokens and their
SSO software.  The two together (with an internal PKI infrastructure)
work just fine for this.

The SSO is simply a program (small footprint) that resides on each users
machine that looks for applications to open.  When it sees one that it
has a template for, it looks on the token for the stored password
(secured with the users PIN and certificate) and puts it into the
applications login box.

It's easy to setup and implement.  If your users can handle using a
token to login, I recommend this setup.  Other companies have similar
products and they all fall in this little area between SOHO and
Enterprise.

Alex Ackley, CISSP, GSEC
Security Administrator
EPMG, PC