Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SSID cloaking reducing WLAN security

From: <jay.tomas () infosecguru com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:56:28 -0500

Cloaking, just gives the possibility to potential attackers ,that there
could be something worth checking out!

Security is about layering your defense. No one element will be sufficient to protect you. I'm not necessarily
proposing cloaking, but any additonal countermeasures could help. It doesnt say to attackers I have something to
hide. It says hey these guy isnt some d@psh@t that took his AP out of the box and hooked it up with defaults. It
will at least deter some of the wannabes who's only skills are to load up a livecd and go to town.<<<<

Jay