Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: was FAX a virus...

From: <redhowlingwolves () bellsouth net>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 20:01:23 -0500

Whoa....The hysteria created over FUD.

If you are using a third party to send a fax, then the threat exists.

There are many cases of a MS based,or whatever,that have used
third-party based online FAX-type services that have been compromised.

It was not from the actual FAX transmission that infection occurred,but
thru using a third party app to execute said FAX.

I understand your point of view,where the parties involved have direct
FAX connections,but if you use a 3rd party software to peruse the
FAX,then anything the 3rd party can add to the stream; albeit probably
propietary to their scheme;can most definitely add to that stream.

Basically,if you use your networks proper methods of Trusted
Software,etc..you should be fine.If you choose to use another companies
software,than you are their mercy.

There are alot of, so-called ,secure-fax companies touting their wares.

Overall,you are right.But consider that a lot of companies rely on 3rd
party software .

   Just my one cents worth in this debate,
                                Regards,
b                                    Scott