Security Basics mailing list archives

firewall cluster

From: sandra <sandra () fib upc edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:18:15 +0200

Hello,

We want to set up a cluster of two firewalls with heartbeat. It will be an active-passive cluster, so if main firewall fails, secondary firewall would become active. We think that, although they are a cluster, they should have different Operating Systems (for example linux and BSD), so if a vulnerability has impact in our main firewall and drops it, the second firewall will start to serve without the same vulnerability affecting it. Do you think is a good idea or is better to have two identical firewalls for compatibility issues?
Which combination of Operating Systems do you recommend?
Thanks,

Sandra