Security Basics mailing list archives

Fwd: E-mail Encryption - S/MIME vs TLS

From: "kevin fielder" <kevin.fielder () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:28:34 +0100

Hi

The best solution will depend on what you are trying to achieve.

As mentioned, TLS is usually implemented between two email gateways so
would provide a secure mechanism for transporting emails between two
networks that are each trusted internally (as the mails are not
encrypted when stored on the servers or clients).

S/MIME will mean the emails are encrypted a stage further and will not
become unencrypted until at the client.

Another option you may want to consider is actually encrypting the data
separately as part of the email process with a product such as PGP as
this allows the recipient of the mail to easily store the data in an
encrypted manner thus protecting it at the point of storage as well as
in transit.

It all depends on the level of risk / security and along with usability
/ transparency to the user levels that are required or acceptable in
your business.

Cheers