Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Firewall positioning in Large Network

From: "Jesse Eaton" <jesse.eaton () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 20:29:34 +0200

Then your answer is a relatively simple one. Your firewall should be placed
at the Gateway, on your link to your upstream service provider.

Of course, the important part now is to sit down and write out a
configuration plan to address what services/ports or nodes needs specific
access out to the external network, and maybe more importantly what
service/port traffic you will allow in and to what machines. Do you serve
public web pages, for instance?

If your organization doesn't have any branch networks or VPN clients, for
instance, then that inbound traffic should be pretty limited...

Hope this helps.
-Jesse