Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Possible Payload inside PDF or HTML files

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:05:07 +0100

Typically this pops up in Outlook and asks if you want to
send the requested response.

I presume that this isn't happening in this case. -If- the messages are
arriving with tracking enabled, and -if- the originator of the query -is-
using Outlook, that can be changed in Tools/Options/Preferences/E-mail
Options/Tracking Options to ensure that read receipts aren't sent without
asking (or at all).

Second, if your email is displaying the HTML files directly
or you are otherwise looking at them, they could easily
include code that references an outside side.

Again, in Outlook, you might be able to address this:
Tools/Options/Security/Change Automatic Download Settings

Of course, not all mail clients include all this functionality, and I don't
actually know if that's the issue at all, but it might give you a line of
enquiry.

--
David Harley CISSP, Small Blue-Green World
Security Author/Editor/Consultant/Researcher