Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Brute force attacks

From: TheGesus <thegesus () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 22:08:14 -0400

On 5/31/07, Mohamad Mneimneh <Mohamad.Mneimneh () dargroup com> wrote:
Hi List,

I've been experiencing brute force dictionary attacks from various
sources against my gateway. The attacker is trying all kinds of
username/password combinations to get in.

I have traced the source IP addresses on internet authorities such as
Ripe, Arin & Apnic; the feedback I get is that "Country is really world
wide". I then traced the IPs using visual route, and saw that their
locations vary widely; some of them are in the US, some in China, others
in Poland...

What are my options in such a case? Have you ever experienced such a
behavior? And what are the best practices that apply?

Thank you,

-Mohamad.

I have been told, on good authority, that changing the default port
for ssh can be "a configuration decision" and *NOT* - dare I speak its
name - "security by obscurity".

Sure, it won't stop a determined hacker.  So change it and see if
there's a determined hacker out to get you.  Maybe there is, but I
predict that the brute force attacks will just stop.