Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Open Source Security Information Management (OSSIM)

From: Joe <bitshield () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 19:03:43 +0200

Hello Neil

About one year ago, I checked out OSSIM quite thoroughly. My findings
were more frustrating than something else. First of all I was not able
to configure a properly running system, even after going through the
installation manual multiple times. I then realized that I was not the
only one who had such problems. During my research I only found one
guy, who was able to set up a running OSSIM.

One source stated that an OSSIM developer said: "if hell was coded, it
would have been done like our server". This was the definitive answer
to my question: fingers way!

Reading the documentation at this time was also a real pain. It was
not useful at all. Finally, the VMWare is only good for demo purposes.
If you plan to run a productive system, them you must be able to build
the system from scratch and you should also be able to maintain the
software, which is probably a hard undertaking with OSSIM.

As I said, this was about one year ago… The GUI looks really nice but…

joe