Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Starting a New Security Department/Division

From: "WALI" <hkhasgiwale () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 14:12:47 +0400

I agree with krymson on most aspects except on the aspect where he states security should be gelled within operations and not report to CFO/CEO or any other. Krymson you have a point where you state that when security functions report to CFO they morph into more of an Auditing function and I agree, but equally bad is the scenario when security reports to operations manager or CIO. Operations by definition are service centric and servicing business takes utmost priority, usually nothing stands between when any business/data owner needs some change / project to be undertaken and made functional NOW!! Then, security risk asessment, study, controls etc., all fly out of the windows.
That's service culture of IT.

If security reports to IT operations manager, it at best remains a sleeping dog, I speak of my little experience. Security personnel should sit with the IT guys, if possible on the same hall and related cubicles, not in their own silos on a higher pedestal, for they need to be friends and confidantes of operational network/system admin and not act like some higher level experts always trying to hammer security sense into daily routines or else, they will easily be left to rot by these system/network admins and IT manager/CIOs etc, for being a nuisance to operations. While reporting to CFO/CEO etc., they should also carry authority (policy docs signed) by someone at the CEO level.

Security manager/officer and operations manager, should both report to CFO/CEO..I repeat, Security should report to the SAME ENTITY where CIO/IT Manager does, or else there would be little sense in the org structure.

My three yens!!

----- Original Message ----- From: <krymson () gmail com>