Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: inter-site WAN security question

From: Joseph Brown <joseph.brown1 () fuse net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 08:17:30 -0400

That is incorrect. The header is not encrypted. A person sniffing would be able to see source and destination addresses. The only way to prevent this would be to using something like the onion router (http://tor.eff.org/). When using this, the packets will be sent to 13 different routers before being sent to the destination. You can read more about it at http://tor.eff.org/.

Joe Brown

nobledark () hushmail com wrote:
Hi Andrew, thanks for the quick reply..

So if I understand you correctly, if someone were sniffing on a router between the two sites and the VPN was in tunnel mode then they would not be able to see the source and destination IP's - is that correct?

Sorry, a bit ignorant about the inner workings of IPSEC VPNs...what about during the initial tunnel establishment - how does the vpn server at s1 know the path to the vpn server at s2?

Thanks again...