Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing the Server Farm

From: "WALI" <hkhasgiwale () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 05:49:22 +0400

Thanks for the link anymouse, but the itsd document contained therein is too detailed, highlevel and conceptual , where I failed to find the clause that deals specifically the technology I need and ways I might employ in order to secure my server farm.

Vendors talk about deploying a firewall or an IPS before my servers but if I do that, I loose out on the bandwidth drastically where each of my IDF is getting an uplink of 10G to core switch. Firewall, IDS here would act as a bottleneck for my speeds. Also, shall I attach all my servers directly to core switches or is there another best practice?

The reason I feel that there exists a need to protect my servers from internal traffic on LAN is because there is usually a huge time lag before we get to deploy even highly critical MS patches on them and also, I have read that 80% of threat to IT infratsucture comes from an insider.

Pls advise from your experience.

Regards

----- Original Message ----- From: <anymouse () user net>