Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ID Fruad - Is there more hype than risk?

From: "Ackley, Alex" <aackley () epmgpc com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:49:51 -0400

Use the data:

1) Sell to illegal immigrants to use valid SSNs to get work.  All most
HR departments do is validate that the person has a SSN not if it is
theirs or not.
2) Use an SSN to file tax returns for refunds.  Easy enough to do and
the chance of getting audited are small unless you go over $100k in
fraud and bring the special unit down on you.  (My sister is one of
those special investigators and you don't want to mess with them)
3) Use the data to get a driver's license; get a Birth Certificate copy;
create a second set of identity credentials for nefarious reasons.
4) Use a group of data to validate another persons credentials.  For
example; file a series of Quit Claim deeds on a piece of property...
then take a mortgage on property you don't own... most title insurance
places don't go back more then 3 deeds.

I'm sure I and others could come up with a lot more.