Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Least privilege vs Windows server security

From: Bill Stout <billbrietstout () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:31:34 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not sure that the firewall buys you much. You have one administrative domain which spans a firewall, and one side
has more sensitive info. Domain resources can be enumerated from the less secure side, and password guessing can be
done from the less secure side.

Maybe the firewall blocks direct network access to specific law resources, but it does nothing for indirect methods
which don't require a direct network path (such as through mapped drives or user shell commands sent to accessible
servers to access blocked server resources). I'm not sure how you're referring to 'Least Privilege' in the context of a
Microsoft environment. In a Microsoft environment even the scheduler can escalate your privileges: open a command
window and open your task manager - you'll see the process tab show cmd.exe running as you (with limited privileges).
In your command window type 'at 19:21 /interactive cmd.exe' (instead of 19:21 add a minute to your current time). After
the new command window pops up, task manager will show the second command window is running with SYSTEM privilege. You
can do this on remote computers as well.

Possibly you might want to consider making each side a separate sub-domain (isolate user accounts into their own OUs).
Also you may want to consider using gateway devices instead of a firewall (reverse proxies, OWA, etc). You can choose
to treat the sites as separate Internet sites, and use SMTP for Exchange, and helo instead of ehelo. This would be
helpful if one of the groups moved to a different building or city.

I believe I'm agreeing with the other responses but with different verbage.

Bill Stout