Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: New Spam Technique

From: "dallas jordan" <dallas.jordan () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:22:11 -0400

Just saw this article on Security Focus.

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11475

On 7/19/07, tony barry <tony () no-bull co nz> wrote:
Hi List,

We operate several mail servers with catch all accounts and have noticed
a lot of Mailer Daemon 'delivery failed messages mails from genuine
sites (mostly German)arriving recently. It would seem the spammers are
sending out e-mails with a PDF attachment and a forged senders address
to bogus recipients at these organizations whose mail server rejects the
message and sends notification to the forged sender. We have opened one
attachment on an isolated machine and it was one of the 'watch these
stocks they're going through the roof messages (not exactly sure of the
details as my German is a bit rusty). My concern is that there could be
a 'payload' embedded in the PDF. Is this possible?

--
The Simple Server Company
PO Box 51528

021 413642  09 5768552

http://www.simpleserverco.com

This e-mail and any attached files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the use of the addressees. If you have recieved
this e-mail in error please inform the sender by sending a reply and