Security Basics mailing list archives

re: Wanted: State of the Art Malware Techniques

From: rohnskii () gmail com
Date: 18 Jul 2007 16:49:20 -0000

Take 2:

Here are only a few of the articles I've collected (let me know which
best meet your needs, I may have more related ones):

Antimalware E-Guide, at searchwindowssecurity.com by Sunbelt Software, 7 pg

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/loginMembersOnly/1,289498,sid14_gci1127065,00.html
- Firewall Architecture Guide (5 parts)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2101619,00.asp - Security Super Guide

Adware and Spyware: Unraveling the Financial Web -  McAfee, 8 pg

Big Security Guns Should Aim Carefully at Adware, Spyware.  March 21,
2005, Larry Seltzer, eWeek

Comprehensive Threat Management: A Symantec Solution for Modern-Day
Attack Protection.  18pg

The Definitive Guide to Controlling Malware, Spyware, Phishing and
Spam. Dan Sullivan. McAfee Proven Security.  realtimepublishers.com
180 pg

http://antivirus.about.com/od/securitytips/a/resources.htm - Free
Virus Removal Tools, Tips, and Tricks (links to other articles)

http://www.antispywarecoalition.org/documents/BestPracticesFinal.htm -
Best Practices: Guidelines to Consider in the Evaluation of
Potentially Unwanted Technologies

Killing Botnets, A view from the Trenches.  Ken Baylor, Chris Brown.
McAfee.  8pg

http://searchwindowssecurity.techtarget.com/loginMembersOnly/1,289498,sid45_gci1186367,00.html?NextURL=http%3A//searchwindowssecurity.techtarget.com/tip/0%2C289483%2Csid45_gci1186367%2C00.html
- Malware Removal Handbook

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Reverse-Engineering-Malware-Part1.html
- Reverse Engineering malware (5 parts)

Spyware: A multi-faceted threat.  Clearswift White  paper.

http://searchwindowssecurity.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid45_gci1230354,00.html?track=NL-399&ad=575589&Offer=W2Sunscea1221&asrc=EM_USC_863461&uid=4739563
- Zero-day attack prevention

http://zert.isotf.org/ - Zeroday Emergency Response Team (ZERT)

http://searchsmb.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid44_gci1085359,00.html?track=NL-386&ad=556543&Offer=SBtd61506
- Spyware defense for SMBs

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm - The Spyware
Warrior List of Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

http://www.spycar.org/Welcome%20to%20Spycar.html -  The Spycar Project
- tools that mimic spyware-like behavoir (for testing your response)

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/loginMembersOnly/1,289498,sid14_gci1148974,00.html
- SPYWARE LEARNING GUIDE 30 Nov 2005 | SearchSecurity.com  This guide
is a compilation of resources that explain what spyware is, how it
attacks and most importantly what you can to do to win the war on
spyware.

http://www.spywareguide.com/product_list_full.php - SpywareGuide List
of Products is one of the single largest source of Greynet
intelligence. This is a continual list of spyware, adware, malware,
keyloggers, trojans, dialers and more

http://software.techrepublic.com.com/download.aspx?docid=156923&tag=nl.e175
- Spyware: Determine Your Threat Level With Webroot Enterprise Spy
Audit

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/eai/implementation/archives/fighting-spyware-and-malware-know-your-stuff-2930
- Fighting Spyware and Malware? Know your stuff! (blog) with links to
several other articles.

http://metasploit.com/research/misc/mwsearch/mwsearch.html - Obtain
live malware samples through Google searches

http://searchwindowssecurity.techtarget.com/loginMembersOnly/1,289498,sid45_gci1186367,00.html?Offer=W2Srttip56&NextURL=http%3A//searchwindowssecurity.techtarget.com/tip/1%2C289483%2Csid45_gci1186367%2C00.html%3FOffer%3DW2Srttip56%26track%3DNL-399%26ad%3D553133
- Malware removal handbook

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid14_gci1174455,00.html?track=NL-102&ad=545617USCA
- Surveillance exposes malware that comes back from the dead

http://osvdb.org/ - OSVDB is an independent and open source database
created by and for the community. Our goal is to provide accurate,
detailed, current, and unbiased technical information.

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid14_gci1099349_tax299834,00.html?bucket=REF
- Thwarting Hacker Techniques