Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Log analysis tool for Cisco HIPS/NIPS.

From: "Andrew Hay" <andrewsmhay () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:53:46 -0400

Have you checked out OSSIM?  http://www.ossim.net/

"Ossim stands for Open Source Security Information Management. Its
goal is to provide a comprehensive compilation of tools which, when
working together, grant a network/security administrator with detailed
view over each and every aspect of his networks/hosts/physical access
devices/server/etc...
Besides getting the best out of well known open source tools, some of
which are quickly described below these lines, ossim provides a strong
correlation engine, detailed low, mid and high level visualization
interfaces as well as reporting and incident managing tools, working
on a set of defined assets such as hosts, networks, groups and
services.

All this information can be limited by network or sensor in order to
provide just the needed information to specific users allowing for a
fine grained multi-user security environment. Also, the ability to act
as an IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) based on correlated
information from virtually any source result in a useful addition to
any security professional."

You may want to also check out Q1 Labs QRadar (http://www.q1labs.com/)
or LogLogic (http://www.loglogic.com/products/) if you're looking for
enterprise-grade solutions.