Security Basics mailing list archives

Re : MBSA incomplete scans

From: abdelhakim aliane <hakim_al () yahoo fr>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 08:55:11 +0000 (GMT)

Hi, try to troubleshoote this issue by enabling XPSp2 Firewall logging on the issued machine, read the file
C:\WINDOWS\pfirewall.log (with WordPad or Excel) and filter it on IP address machine source and destination to see the
guilty ports blocking the scans.
I often use this firewall to troubleshoot many network applications to know what ports have I to open.
Sample : 2007-01-09 14:18:50 OPEN TCP 10.12.30.62 172.16.130.6 3139 445
Match file headers fields to each number here to read the port destination.

Another Solution: Apply a GPO on your domain to permit file and printer
sharing on all machines, it works fine. It's the simplest way to do things regardless of opening this or that port
destination.

Cordially,
H Aliane.
IT Sec.