Security Basics mailing list archives

MBSA incomplete scans

From: Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon () googlemail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 11:19:36 +0000

I'm using MBSA which I have used for quite a long time previously. I'm however having a spot of trouble in my latest network audit with it. I'm using the latest version against XP Sp2 clients with firewalls enabled. I get:

"Incomplete Scan (Could not complete one or more requested checks)"

I know this is because MBSA cannot contact the agent on the target machines and this is because of the firewalls, but I have defined port exceptions at the domain level via group policy for file and printer sharing which opens up udp ports 137,138 and tcp 139 and 445. I have also made an explicit rule to open up tcp port 135 for my workstation, as well as defining to allow a remote administration exception in the firewall for my workstation. This should be all 5 ports needed to get the scan done properly but it is not working.

I can see the exceptions in the client's firewall and I can scan the client using a portscanner and verify that all 5 ports are open. If I take the firewall down completely then it works, but I can't really leave all the machines like this or do this every time I want to do another scan. I don't understand why I'm having trouble with something that should be so straight forward.

I've been through the faqs for MBSA and verified that I have the ports open but it still doesn't work. I'm convinced this is a firewall problem since it works when the firewall is down.

Any ideas?

--
Hari Sekhon