Security Basics mailing list archives

security on printing confidential data

From: ottobeli82 () yahoo com br
Date: 8 Jan 2007 19:01:09 -0000

Hi list,

I work for a government organization in Brazil. The information with we deal is protected by the law.
In some cases, we need to do investigations in industrial companies. In those cases, the laptops we use connects to our
network through VPN, thus blocking the access to any other internet site. But when we need to print any document, we
are oriented to convert the documents to PDF format using a program in an USB pendrive. Then, using the pendrive, print
the PDF document using one of the computers in the company´s network.

I know that there are some risks in this printing process: If the USB pendrive has important documents (which
informations is protected by the law), the information may be stealed by malicious programs (like USBDumper) when the
pendrive is plugged in the industrial company computer.
That´s why we orient our users to not store important documents in pendrives (but we all know that they still do).
I would like to know if there are others vulnerabilities in this printing process, and if you have any suggestions to
do this printing in a more secure way.

Thanks for any help, and sorry about my english.