Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Tracing Threatening Email to an IP Address

From: "Francois Yang" <francois.y () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 12:06:49 -0600

1. when your friend sends you an e-mail from his work e-mail address.
it gets routed through their e-mail server.  So you see some internal
IPs (this should be fix and stripped off).
2. The anonymous e-mail was probably sent from a website or even from
yahoo's webmail.
So you won't see the internal IP's.

Unless, in 1 your friend sends you e-mails from yahoo.

I hope that helps.

On 2/1/07, Navroz Shariff <navroz.shariff () gmail com> wrote:
You Cisco device performs NAT which is why it does not advertise any
internal addresses.

On 1 Feb 2007 19:42:34 -0000, ka4731 () aol com <ka4731 () aol com> wrote:
> My friend and I received a threatening email from an anonymous yahoo account.  We believe this may have come from one of my
friend's coworkers because the header information was traced back as far as the IP address of the Cisco Pix firewall within my
friend's company network.  All emails I receive from my friend have the IP address of his computer within his network.   Why is it
that the anonymous email header doesn't tie me to a computer or work station just like my friend but only shows the IP of the
firewall?

--
"If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it
requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say,

- Henry David Thoreau

--
If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you
don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology.