Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: HIPAA and endpoint certification

From: "Eggleston, Mark" <meggleston () HEALTHPART COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:47:57 -0500

HIPAA makes no mention certification of endpoints for the transmission
of PHI (Protected Health Information).  You would however, be following
the intent of the law if you establish authentication and authorization
mechanisms for those wishing to connect to your LAN.  Either
implementation method you mention below would meet the intent of HIPAA's
security rule.

For additional information, see the following page which not only offers
the rule itself, but also a recently released guidance document on
remote connectivity: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/SecurityStandard/

As far as a specific reference, I would direct you to the rules
"technical safeguards" section; specifically 164.312(d) "Person or
Entity Authentication" which states "Implement procedures to verify that
a person or entity seeking access to electronic protected health
information is the one claimed."

Regards,

Mark Eggleston
Manager, Security and Business Continuity
Information Services
Health Partners of Philadelphia, Inc.
(215) 991-4388