Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SSL certificate pass phase in apache

From: Björn Bergstrand <bjorn () favoptic com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 17:33:33 +0100

Oops, did not read your email at all it seems.
But if someone could get their hands on the passgenerator, they'd be able to access the key anyhow?

Hi all
I know that I can remove password of my private key using this command:
openssl rsa -in foo_key.pem -out foo_keyclear.pem

But,I don't like this,because I should save private key without any protection on server,and if sombody access this
file,he can easily generate a dummy "valid certificate" from same Issuer.
Is this the way that normally used on servers for thier SSL?
They won't use:
SSLPassPhaseDialog exec:cert/passgenerator
for sending pass to apache and then protect that pass generator?

Regards

If your IT fails, you're out of business - or worse.  Arm your
enterprise with BigFix, the single converged IT security and operations
engine. BigFix enables continuous discovery, assessment, remediation,
and enforcement for complex and distributed IT environments in real-time
from a single console.
Think what's next. Think BigFix.

http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;82309979;15562032;o?http://www.bigfix.com/ITNext/