Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Vista's personal firewall and AV package

From: Aman Raheja <araheja () techquotes com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:58:36 -0600

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/04/zonelabs-zonealarm-vs-windows-vista.html

This is from the time when Vista was in Beta version (I think).
I don't use Vista but the way I know it works is that it does not allow
3rd party firewalls / AV etc to be installed because that requires
modifying the kernel. Some sites / podcasts have talked about that VIsta
does not allow other software to call the API that talk to or can modify
kernel and so these other software can not work and SP1 will have a way
to allow it - not to mention that this is a feature and not a
restriction to monopolize :)

urandom character special device wrote:
I am speaking from a consumer level standpoint.

Should I replace Vistas own firewall with a third-party tool? In XP I
used Checkpoints ZoneLab (with AV, anti-spyware, firewall and other
add-ons). Is Vistas firewall (when properly configured for outbound
and inbound) secure? What are advantages and disadvantages of
third-party tools?

If I don't need a complete internet security suite, I only need AV
protection. What do you recommend me for AV? I wish to give Kaspersky
a chance. Are there professional comparisons these products?

--

Aman Raheja
http://www.techquotes.com