Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Getting security back from the sys admin

From: "Nick Vaernhoej" <nick.vaernhoej () capitalcardservices com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 14:26:20 -0600

I think the main concern might be a perception mismatch.
You mention that you (security) has maintained root in Unix but lost it in Windows.

It seems you think you need root across the board to do your job? If you achieve this you will need to hire someone to
monitor you.

I may be wrong, but it is my belief that IT and IS can work together by having IT be responsible for the
servers/workstations and any changes while IS provides the knowledge and direction needed to maintain a secure
environment. You cannot have IS build the logging mechanism, the IDS/IPS, the anything because their role will lose
integrity.
You have IT build according to your design perhaps, and then you audit their job.

So, my comment on how you regain a foothold in your company is by creating the foundation you wish to build your goal
on. And that is policies and standards.
You write a standard on how backups, encryption, logging,  email, etc is secured and then you design or assist IT in
implementing this.
Once in place then you verify once a month.

Nick Vaernhoej