Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Strange Web Server Log Entries

From: Sean Malloy <spinelli85 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 21:38:20 -0600

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 08:23:29PM -0500, Jason Muskat de VE3TSJ - GCFA, GCUX, CEI, CEH wrote:
Hello,

Logs are always interesting to review. It does look like the 1st HTTP
GET request returned the page requested, and it did; however, your
frame of context is incorrect. You should review your server's virtual
hosting configuration. I'm sure you will have a default "*" (all)
virtual host. The request for http://www.microsoft.com/ will serve
your site's root page (/index.html).

The other requests seem to be an attacker checking to see if your
server is an open-proxy. The 400 series return (error) codes are a
good sign that your server is not.

Regards,

--
Jason Muskat de VE3TSJ | GCFA, GCUX, CEI, CEH

http://TechDude.Ca/

As for as I can tell all lines in httpd.conf that refer to virtual hosting are commented with a '#' symbol.
I haven't ever done anything with virtual hosts before. Thanks for the
information.
--
Sean Malloy
Home Page: www.catgrepsort.com