Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: microsoft updates

From: Dave Koontz <dkoontz () mbc edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:47:59 -0500

Umm... check out Windows Genuine Advantage.  Pirated copies will fail
updates (as they should).

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/*

*
Calima47 wrote:
Actually as I recall, I have seen pirated XP machines get critical updates
just by setting automatic updates in the control panel. This only works for
the critical updates, and you must wait for the scheduled automatic update
time, but the machine will receive the updates unless Microsoft has changed
this fairly recently.

Anthony