Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Reflexive firewalls?

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 27 Dec 2007 22:21:01 -0000

Yes! The previous Google mentions by others will give you good results, as port knocking (triggering) has been
available for iptables for many years.  Or just go here: http://www.portknocking.org/

You can also call it "single packet authorization" which is something fwknop will do for you, in combination with
iptables.

http://www.cipherdyne.org/fwknop/

<- snip ->
I've recently used an SSH server that had an interesting
authentication mechanism. You first had to telnet to the machine on a
certain port. After doing this (it will just time out - no prompt),
you then SSH to the server in question. The telnet step has to be
carried out, if not SSH will just time out.

My question is, is this called reflexive firewalling, and can I
duplicate this with iptables?