Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing Email

From: Jonathan Smith <smithj () freethemallocs com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:55:51 -0500

On Friday 21 December 2007 14:52, JD Brown wrote:
Hi list, I would like to get some suggestions regarding products out
there to secure email.  Preferably, I'd like to see an appliance that
could make the process as transparent as possible to the user.  Any
input would be greatly appreciated.

Secure against... what? There's only so much you can do to secure email
without greatly affecting your users, but I'll list a few suggestions.

 * Configure SMTP mail servers to use TLS. for clients which use tls (most do
these days) this makes MITM impossible for mail in-transit
 * configure pop/imap to use SSL/TLS. this prevents MITMs for mail being
downloaded by end-users
 * use SpamAssassin for spam filtering. you can pretty easily set up a script
to run over a folder called "Junk" to learn junk mail and tell users to just
put junk in that folder instead of deleting it
* ClamAV for anti-virus. its free, high quality, and did I mention free?

        smithj