Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Peculiar Unresponsivness of IP

From: Kartik <kartik.netsec () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:01:38 +0530

Hi All,

To Bennett- we already tried some of the things like speed/duplex,
different switchport, unplug and plugin the cable etc.

To Michael Bellears- During the outage, hen we ping the IP address
from the internet we get "Request Timed Out" but at the same time the
dice is pingable from inside network. The device can also ping the
switch at that time.

To Eric Pinkerton- The VPN device is connected via a console, and at
the time of outage the VPN device is able to ping the switch. We also
tried capturing the packets via wireshark last week and found some STP
protocol loop, we rectified it, we also disabled the CDP protocol as
it was generating a lot of packets. Despite of this the problem
exists.

To- Ong Chin Kiat- We can not alter the topology as the datacenter/
site is in a different country. Nothing has been changed on the branch
office tunnels and Does a virus or a Worm can flood the VPN device
like that? SInce the data will be tunneled and encrypted, i think this
can not be the case. What do you say? And as far as logs are
concerned, we cheked the logs and didnt find anything, we also opened
a ticket with Nortel and sent the logs to them but unfortunately they
also said "Everything lokks to be good"